Wednesday, April 30, 2014

United States Marine Corps

I'm not going to lie.  It has been quite a semester.  It's been a hard term, especially with the injury sidelining me for so long.  Missing the bike racing season was a downer, as was not competing at regionals and nationals for skiing.  There were times where I didn't believe I'd ever see a day where I wasn't on crutches and there were times where I never thought the term would end.  But, yesterday, the semester hit a climax when I found out I got a ROTC slot to ultimately become an officer in the United States Marine Corps.  I've been waiting to find out all year, and it's a crazy feeling now that I have.  I could not be more thrilled, even though I am definitely aware that I have a long road in front of me.

This year has taught me more than ever that challenges are only around to make you stronger.  I've taken some of the hardest classes, had the most work, been off my feet longer than I ever thought was even possible...  I've hit my limits.  I've watched myself fall.  I've pushed past those limits and kept pushing through.  I've watched my friends fall too, but in the end, we all got back up again.  Because no matter what, there was hope at the end of the tunnel.  There were things to look forward to, because in the end, no matter what happens, we all have lives to live, we all have dreams to achieve, and we all have a ridiculous amount to learn.

When I was on crutches, all I wanted was to be able to walk from the kitchen to the dining room.  I can do that now.  When I was in the walking boot, all I wanted was the all clear to take it off long enough to walk onto campus.  I can do that now.  There are definitely still things I can't do.  Running is still a little while out.  But, in these last few months, as much as I've discovered that I'm not invincible, I also know it's not over.  It could be so much worse than a stress fracture.  I've met Marines who have been wounded overseas and they were so dedicated to surpassing any setbacks they might meet, and continued to do what they loved no matter how much they had to adapt or push through to do so, whether it was running marathons, racing bikes, doing triathlons, etcetera…

I could not be more honored to be given this opportunity, and I swear I will fight as hard as I can to make sure to push through and pull this off.  Thank you to everybody who has given me so much support over the last few years.  Semper Fi!

No comments:

Post a Comment