Sunday, April 13, 2014

Relay For Life

This weekend was my school's American Cancer Society Relay For Life.  Don’t let the name deceive you.  It’s not an insane endurance event (in fact there was tons of candy, pizza, cupcakes, etcetera.  I even won a raffle basket with marshmallow peeps and godiva chocolate).  But, it was definitely still worth being at.  I’d be talking to one friend, and then I’d look around and see someone else I knew.  There were very few times throughout the night where I had no one to hang out with or talk to.  Whether it was kids in ROTC, kids on the ski team or friends from class, there was always someone around.  Furthermore, there were cool events going on all night, whether it was Mr. Relay, a date auction, henna tattoos or a psychic, there was always something to keep you busy. 
And even though I’m in this weird transition stage of wearing the walking boot less and less, and learning to walk again, and someone I knew came up to me and said jokingly, “I feel like this event is anti-you.  Because it involves walking and you’re not supposed to be doing that.”, and to be fair, I did opt out of the bouncy house even though I wanted to, I enjoyed every minute of it. 
I’m an athlete, and most days listening to long speeches or lectures is a struggle to focus, since I really just want to go for a long run most of the time, but I was one hundred percent still and focused as students from our school shared their stories last night.  From the survivor who just finished Chemotherapy after being on the medication for 9 years to the boy who’s childhood best friend lost his 5-year long battle with cancer last year to the kid who said, “I’m here today because for the first 17 years of my life, cancer didn’t affect me”, but it stole his father away within three months, just a week before his high school graduation, everyone has a story.  Some have had it harder than others. 
But, last night, everyone came together to honor those we have buried, as well as those who have survived, and to fight for a better future, where adults like my parents, aunts and grandparents, teenagers like Zach Sobiech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjKgV65fpo) and young children like Ben Sauer (http://bensauer.blogspot.com) don’t have to face this beast.  And there’s something beautiful about a community like that. 
That’s all I’ve got for now.  In fact I have to go write a history paper… But stay strong, and keep running,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hellooooo!! I'm so sorry, you left a comment on my blog and it got caught in some sort of filter. Shoot me an email if you have questions on my stress fracture!! theboringrunner ----at- gmail.com

    ReplyDelete