Friday, February 21, 2014

X-Ray Day: When Denial Ends and Reality Sets In

Sometimes I think I'm invincible.  That 500 miles in a week on a bike and 20 mile runs are the norm.  Sometimes I discover that's not the case.

Look at today for example.  Few things are more humbling than going from the girl who goes hard and never stops to being the girl in the walking boot.  Going to regionals in nordic to watch and help out?  After racing in every race of the season and training hard?  In the end, it's a shame, and I have to remind myself that I'm only a sophomore.  There will be other years and other races, and I have to learn to love the pool and weight room as much as the pavement, and put my future marathon aspirations on hold for the time being.


The X-Rays looked suspiciously like a stress fracture and I'm having an MRI this week to confirm it, but basically, in short, I will not be running Buffalo this year, and who knows?- maybe I'll be a fish with abs of steel and huge bis and tris at the end of all this.  Instead of just a cardio fiend.  

So this evening after my doctor's appointment and X-Rays, we drove a few hours to one of my teammates' house, and spent a few hours tuning skis.  So I'm about to go to bed now (glad to be free of the boot until morning), but I'm finally accepting that something is actually wrong with my shin, and there's no use denying it.  More to come tomorrow.  Maybe I'll even post a pic of the boot!

That's all I've got for now,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment