Saturday, March 1, 2014

Snack time: What's it gonna be?

            OK, so if you’re hungry right now, you’re probably going to hate me a little if you make it through the end of this post without eating your computer.  But, hey, I am a food-loving athlete, so here we go.
            Even though my poor food budget cannot afford to sustain me on all of the following, at the beginning of a week, right after I’ve gone grocery shopping (depending on my life choices for that week), snack opportunities are endless.  I can have granola bars of all varieties, crackers and cheese (or crackers and peanut butter), tostitos and salsa, carrots and hummus, a banana, etc… A handful of walnuts and raisins.  A bowl of cereal with soymilk.  And maybe if it’s a splurge week, there’ll be some fig newtons laying around. 
            The best part about all of those things is that a lot of them double as meals.  Walnuts and raisins in a bowl of oatmeal with a little brown sugar?  May as well be Julia Childs if you eat like that.  A pita with a little chicken, hummus, walnuts, apple slices, carrots, lettuce even, is to die for.  Veggie burgers in a pita hit the spot too. 
            But, instead of me ranting on and on about all the foods I love, let’s make something clear.  A runner’s must have tastables: 

1.     Peanut butter (It goes great with crackers of any type, pitas, toast, jelly and bread, apples, celery, etcetera.  I could go on all day, but my friends on the ski team will tell you that oreos and peanut butter are the way to go (but that’s not on your diet, is it?)
2.     Pasta:  I have no fewer than 5 pounds of spaghetti in my cupboard right now just begging me to eat it.  Add parmesan, cheddar, tomato sauce, broccoli, butter… The possibilities are again endless.  Just eat it.  You’ll want the carbs on race day. 
3.     Granola Bars: Life without granola bars would be very sad… I am a proud consumer of Belvita, Nature Valley, and Nutrigrain and I love Chewy too.  Bottom line: They’re easy to pack, quick to eat, and good for breakfast or snack time any day. 
4.     Gatorade: I used to only use Gatorade for special situations, like race days, and then I became a marathoner.  I usually keep a few bottles around, but since that goes so fast, I buy the powdered type too, so that when I’m feeling dehydrated, it’s easy to access. 
5.     Popsicles: I really like Edy’s real fruit fruit bars.  The big strawberry ones are the way to go, but the mixed packs with lime, wild berry and strawberry are delicious too.  I also discovered Chapman’s “Electrolyte Sport Popsicles” this summer.  It’s basically like frozen Gatorade on a stick and it’s super fulfilling after a long run.  Popsicles are basically unappealing (at least for me) after about mid-September.  As soon as you start coming in from your runs freezing to death, it’s acceptable to cross ‘em off the shopping list, but in the summer, when you barely survive a hot run, definitely the way to go. 

What are your top five foods at this moment? 

That’s all I’ve got for now,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment